This page explains how to write valid HTML for eGroupWare.
- We are currently aiming for conformance with XHTML 1.0 Transitional, so pages should use the following document type declaration:
- <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
- For documents containing frames, this is the right one:
- <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">
- All tag names, attribute names, and special attribute values like "center", "middle", or "post" must be in lower case. This also applies to their appearance in CSS files.
- Empty elements must have a slash at the end of their tag, like this: <br />. (A space before the slash is useful for compatibility with older browsers, but perhaps it's no longer necessary.) Elements typically affected by this rule are br, hr, img, input, meta.
- Attribute values must be quoted (cellspacing="0" or cellspacing='0').
- All attributes must have a value like <option selected="selected">. The short form is no longer allowed.
- img elements must have an alt attribute.
The following are more advanced conformance features that we might not want to worry about right now:
- There should be an HTML namespace declaration in the html start tag.
- There should be an XML declaration like <?xml version='1.0'?>.
- The use of the attributes lang and xml:lang needs to cleaned up.
- The use of encodings and their declaration needs to be checked.
Back to DeveloperDocs